Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

MY SCARY FREEZER

Can we talk? I feel like I can be open and honest with you and I want to reveal something personal in this space. It's my scary freezer. You see, I hardly ever food shop. Honestly, maybe 6 times a year I go to the grocery store for a "legitimate" food sh0pping spree. Other than some mustard, baking soda and some left over Bar Harbor Blueberry soda from this summer, I don't have much in there. As for the freezer, why keep ice cubes? Well, I just so happened to need some ice cubes for a protein shake I wanted to make when I made the "beehive discovery" in my freezer.
Yup.

Take a look. I don't understand how or why this happens, but this gigantic ice ball collected in the back right corner of my freezer. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT??? I've never really liked my refrigerator / freezer set actually. I never felt like it kept things either really cold or even frozen (even on the coldest setting.) But since I don't use it much, I just put up with that.

But this ice bomb thing. I don't know what to make of it! In an effort to rid myself of the icy monster, I took a butter knife to it (yeah Kim, nice weapon), but it merely chipped away at the surface stuff that bounced out and onto the floor, causing my cats to scurry. My solution? I just shut the door and pretended it wasn't there.

Thanks for letting me share.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At November 7, 2007 at 11:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOUR REMEDY SHOULD HAVE BEEN JUST THE OPPISITE. SINCE YOU DO NOT USE THE FRIDGE MUCH, JUST LEAVE THE DOOR OPEN UNTIL THE SPRING THAW.

 
At November 12, 2007 at 5:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, You need to put food in that freezer or it will keep happening--or as that person suggested leave door open!!Gloria----Oh, what is with the thunder and lighting that we had at 2 am this am--yes, now have rain too?

 
At November 12, 2007 at 9:34 PM , Blogger H Tangent said...

Looks neat for a weather lady to have a frozen Artic tundra in her fridge LOL!!

 
At November 12, 2007 at 9:35 PM , Blogger H Tangent said...

It looks very approprate for a weather lady to have a model of a frozen Artic Iceberg in her frige for examination! LOL

 
At November 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because you don't keep anything in the freezer and perhaps the refrigerator, every time the door opens there is a massive air exchange, cold air out, warm air in. From your background, you know what happens next. Condensation and freezing. Solution:
1. Store bags of ice in the freezer. Handy to have for parties and cheap.
2. Buy a smaller unit that you can keep filled( at least 75%).
3. Unplug and open the door every so often.

The freezer door seal could be bad also. Your electric bill is impacted and the impact to the environment should dictate some action.

 
At December 11, 2007 at 1:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The defroster element has failed You need a repair man inexspensive fix
Keep up the great Job
Robbie

Mechanicsville Md

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home