Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

2007 Weather Dates

We are 9 days into January and I *think* we may finally get a snow shower.  How’s that for a late start to winter?  I do realize we had a flurry a few weeks ago, but it hardly counts.  Today’s flurry possibility is as close to winter that we’ll get for the next 7 days.  Before you know it, we’ll be back into the upper 50s for a high temperature this weekend.

 

So…how’s your new year going?  I hope well.  So far I have primed about 500 feet of lumber (dry rot project), watched “Farmyard” with my nephew, explored Shepherdstown WV, and *thought* about exercising more (I’ll let you know if that thought bubble becomes a reality.)  Oh yeah, I also have a new found fondness for the Greater Frederick Police Department (who do their jobs well!)  I’ll be joining a huge gathering of “weather geeks” (and I am proud to be one of them) at a weather conference shortly.  I plan on taking a short course on Forecasting the Extremes: Tropical Cyclones and Severe Storms.  This should prepare me well for our upcoming severe weather season.  Here are some meteorological dates to keeping mind:

 

*National Weatherperson’s Day:  February 5th

First day of meteorological spring:  March 1st

First day of astronomical spring:  March 21st (Vernal Equinox)

First day of Hurricane Season:  June 1st

Summer Solstice:  June 21st

 

*No need to send a gift…just take it easy on me when I miss one once in a while…

 

Have a great day!

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home