Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I was asked to keep my eyes shut last Saturday morning as my boyfriend, Ben, drove towards Arlington (although at the time I did not know this.) We were celebrating an anniversary and I was really wondering where on earth we were going. He pulled into the parking lot and when I opened my eyes I still had no idea where we were. Then I got out of the car and saw the restaurant – Marks Duck House. This is where we had Dim Sum on our first date. Awwww geee. What a sweetheart.


Once inside, there was a bouquet of flowers already on the table and a box all wrapped up. I opened the gift and there they were – three beautiful pieces of glass art pendants. They all had something in common – a tornado! His friend, Alicyn Drew, is an artist. Between Ben and Alicyn, they created this wonderful jewelry. Alicyn (cool way to spell that name, huh?) even watched a tornado documentary to get the right feel for the project. You can check out her art here: http://www.alicyndrew.com/Home.html Since Ben couldn’t make up his mind as to which one he liked best, I got all three. I love this man. As I sat there with my belly full of steamed shrimp and a gorgeous piece of natural disaster around my neck, I felt *VERY* cheesy about the tiger lily I had given him the day before. He has set the bar high (but at 6’ 5”, that’s not hard to do!)



By the way, it is day 5 of our heat wave. It looks like we will have 6 in all. A break in the steamy weather comes our way Thursday. Stay hydrated, find some AC, check on the elderly and please keep your pets in the AC with plenty of water. I’ll see you tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At July 11, 2007 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim! I love the pendants! They're so unusual and you've got a keeper there! I've checked out Allicyn's website -- she's so talented!

Love watching you in the morning! My son Zach and I, along with 4 other teachers from Holy Trinity Episcopal Day School visited Topper in June and had an awesome time! It was neat to see the set and watch the 5:00 p.m. news in person! I grew up watching Channel 9......we won't say how long that's been! What I wouldn't give to be in that fridgid studio during this week!!!!

I hope we have cooler weather this weekend; our family is heading to Hagerstown and plan to be outside all weekend. No storms until we reach home Sunday evening!

Have a great rest of the week! Narmeen

 
At July 12, 2007 at 6:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your jewelry you got from your boyfriend--he is a keeper--You said you guys in DC got 4" of rain yesterday--we in Winchester got nary a drop--could have really used it too but did notice it is cooler out there this am--must be the humidity is gone--Thanks for that--keep up the great blogging--sure do enjoy it--Gloria in Winchester

 
At July 12, 2007 at 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi again! Today (Thursday) is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!! This is Deep Creek Lake weather! We escape there every August and this is what we wake up to almost every day -- clear, blue skies, cool temps that warm nicely while we're sitting on the dock. And then the cool temps return in the evening, prompting us some years to start a fire in the fireplace. It's a wonderful part of Maryland and this year 32 of us will be sharing it one big house! Our largest group since we started doing this in 1998! I highly recommend DCL as a vacation or a weekend getaway. My kids can't wait to join their friends and cousins!

Love the blogging too! Narmeen

 
At July 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I knew right away this morning that this was going to be a GREAT hair day!!!! Those noodles looked so good! Enjoy them and the day!

Narmeen

 
At July 12, 2007 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Narmeen and Gloria! I'll be wearing pendant #2 tomorrow...

As for the weather -- Love Love LOVE IT! Hurry, bottle it up! Personally it reminds me of Maine weather -- the *best*!

See you tomorrow!
--Kim

 
At July 16, 2007 at 3:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep this guy - at least you can wear your heels when you go out with him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home