Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

GRICO'S

Big Ben is a catch. This man volunteered to go with me to my hair appointment last Friday...IN DALLAS (Dallas PA, that is.) Never mind the haul to get there (about 3 hours from D.C.), or the fact that he offered to drive so that I could catch a nap, but he willingly offered knowing that he would have to hang out with "hair product smell" lingering over the waiting area for a solid 2 hours. (Hello to Dale, my stylist. You may remember him from past blogs -- you're worth the trip, baby!)

What could I do to make it up to him? I knew: A trip to "Grico's Restaurant" in Exeter, PA was in order. After trying, using technology, to find their phone number and coming up short, Ben had the bright idea of simply looking it up in the phone book -- Yes we did manage to live before the internet afterall! I fell in love with this place, working at my last job as Chief Meteorologist at WBRE in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Grrico's is something right out of the God Father (in my mind). ALL ABOUT YUM.

I have found that some of the best restaurants aren't necessarily anything to look at from the outside. What Grico's may lack in curb appeal, it makes up for in their food. Plus their small, private booths (that are like mini rooms) are unique and intimate. Check out my pictures. You actually sit in your own room with lace curtains as the door. Ben especially liked their affordable wine list. I was eyeing their Black Forest Cake...

If you ever find yourself in the Wyoming Valley of PA, it's worth checking out. I think Ben agrees...we'll see if he ever offers to go to another hair appointment with me again...then we'll know!
Do you have any great, local, restaurants to recommend? I'm not necessarily talking the ones we see in Restaurant Week, rather, a local hole-in-the-wall place that you must must must eat at least once a month? If so, tell me why I should check them out...I am always up to exploring for the sake of good eats! You guys didn't fail me when it came to hand lotion, I know you won't let me down here, either.

4 Comments:

At January 17, 2008 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! When the Days Inn in Frostburg was the Comfort Inn (way back in 1986!) they had a restaurant in a separate building that had those little private rooms with curtains. My then boyfriend (now husband!) and I had one of our first dates there! We ate before attempting to head to Deep Creek Lake for a fundraiser and had to turn around at the Finzel exit (on I-68) because of the snow on Big Savage Mountain in December '87! As for a great place to eat, we LOVE, LOVE Guiseppie's in Frostburg (of course!). It is a GREAT local Italian restaurant not too far from campus. As for local places, in Bowie we still love Cetrone's Pizza and T.J. Elliot's Restaurant. Thanks for the tip for when we head to Pennsylvania! As for driving 3 hours to get your hair done, I would if I found someone who I absolutely trust. I've had too many bad hair cuts!!!!!! Narmeen

 
At January 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim - Try "Josephines" in Monrovia Maryland. It is a little known spot in Frederick County, not far from Urbana. The quaint little stop is owned and run by a great couple - Sam and Tara. Sam is the chef - His crab cakes are a must have!!!

 
At January 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

KIM
"THE HARLEY DUDE"MY HUSBAND TONY AND I OF POINT OF ROCKS, MD ----TOTAL ENJOY THE MONOCRACY CROSSING ON RT 355 RIGHT OUTSIDE OF FREDERICK AS YOU ARE GOING TOWARD GERMANTOWN - VERY CUTE PLACE. AND IN OLNEY THE OUTTA THE CAFE HAS GREAT FOOD AND ENTERTAINMENT. wE LOVE YOU YOU GUYS IN THE MORNING - PLEASE TRY TO KEEP EVERYONE STRAIGHT OH WHAT THE HECK LET THHEM BE HAPPY

LEONA AND TONY YOST

 
At February 5, 2008 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kim,
Try Trouts resturant in Woodsboro,Md.Very patriotic and you will love the wood.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home