Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Sunday, January 13, 2008

WILL, KATHRYN, & KIMBERLY

It’s so nice to meet other tall women. On our last trip down to Asheville, Ben and I stopped for dinner to meet with his old friend, Kimberly, from North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM). She and her kids, Will and Kathryn, joined us for some Japanese food.

It’s always neat to meet someone and then meet their children. Right off the bat I could tell that mom certainly passed down her dimples. From the get go, standing in the lobby of the restaurant to saying “goodbye” in the parking lot, it was clear, also, that Kimberly’s gift for gab was passed down to her daughter. I had met my match.

Will is silent, but finds limited opportunity to slip in a few thoughtful comments while his sibling chews on her food. Here’s an interesting tidbit about Will – “Will” is an alias. Yup. Turns out that our silent man here used to go by “Quinn”. That is, until Kathryn once called him “Quinny Quinn Quinn” and it caught on with his friends. Goodbye Quinn and hello Will.

I think Kimberly has an inch on me, but the funny thing is that even though Kathryn is 3 years younger than Will, she is about the same height as him. But, Will should not lose heart. It is my understanding that it is better to start your growth spurt later, from a taller foundation. (BTW, Ben (who is 6’ 4”) was “average height” until his sophomore year of high school.)

Okay guys – Hope to see you again soon. Thanks for food and good conversation and be well down there in beautiful North Carolina
.

4 Comments:

At January 13, 2008 at 8:22 PM , Blogger Yota said...

You just made me think of My growth spurts as a kid.

I think the spring of 70 (beginning my soph year in HS) I had severe (dull) pains in my legs... sort of an ambiguous pain that never incapacitated me, but was annoying. I realised years later it was my bones growing.

I went from about 4' 10" to 5' 11" in a couple years.

That summer was one year I went south to work on my cousins farm, and came back with "muscles".
Tossing hay bails into a pickup is a great workout.

I could say a lot more about that time, it happened farily close to Asheville (in Wytheville), and that is my favorite country.

Rural retreat (the home of Doctor pepper)-(maybe... there is a dispute about that) that was where the farm was.

 
At January 17, 2008 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Yota said...

I don't expect you to post this to your blog, but i just came across this on youtube and you may like to share it with the news community.

Just a nice scoop
here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U-mvfjyiao

 
At January 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting us on the blog! - Kathryn

I'll get taller! - Will (aka Quinn)

 
At February 1, 2008 at 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, I have watched chanel 9 for many years and it is a pleasure watching you every morning, you are always so upbeat. Well just wanted to say welcome and glad you are part of a great team!! I Love you guy's..Keep up the good work guys.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home