Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice Storm '07 continues here in San Antonio this morning. My flight was cancelled but I am hopeful I will catch my afternoon flight back to DC.

The weather has been nearly constant around 32 degrees the last several days. A little higher up in the atmosphere, warmer air sits. It also has a lot of moisture feeding in from the Pacific Ocean. As it falls into the more shallow, freezing, layer of air at the surface, the rain is freezing on contact. This is freezing rain and this is what I have been walking through (in my heels no less!) every day between the Marriott and the San Antonio Convention Center where the American Meteorological Society's weather conference is being held this year.

I snapped some pics last night of the palm trees outside the restaurant I was at, coated in ice. I also included a picture of a new friend I made in my hotel -- a PEACOCK! As I was eating lunch yesterday, I kept hearing this tap tap tapping noise. I couldn't figure out what it was until I turned around and found a beautiful peacock tapping the window with its beak. Evidentally it wanted some of my salad...
I'll be back bright and early Thursday mornig -- see you then!




2 Comments:

At January 21, 2007 at 9:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee with weather like that down in Texas, Can Kim come back to Scranton Pa for a few days. We could use some snow!!!!!!

 
At January 25, 2007 at 9:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bella Ragazze!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home