Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Monday, August 20, 2007

IS THIS CORN?



Ben and I cannot figure out what the heck this thing is in his garden. He didn't plant any produce this year. What you don't see, however, is the multiple bird and squirrel feeders just to the left of the tall corn-like thing in the picture to the left. Some of the food that goes into one of the feeder is corn, so it is plausible that one kernel could have taken root on the border of his patio. It is this next picture below that has us confused.

We don't think that "business at the top " looks like how the top of corn should look. Now, I'm no farm girl, but Ben did live on a farm when he was younger and he doesn't get it.

Perhaps your eyes are being drawn to the bottom of the plant? Don't you think they look like corn leaves? I took a close up picture of them below in the third picture.

About a month or so ago, a strange bug (a house centipede as it turns out) scrambled across the studio. Whatsthatbug.com helped me to identify it. But I am feeling lazy and would just like to ask



anyone out there in blog-land for a little assistance, okay? Have a look at the "thing" in Ben's garden and let me know what you think.

If it *is* corn, when should we expect a cob or two? Should we do anything to help it survive the multiple bird visits?

Thanks for your help in advance! I'm back from vacation now and am looking forward to seeing you bright and early tomorrow morning!











6 Comments:

At August 20, 2007 at 2:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Kim! I miss you when you're gone. This morning your fellow reporters said you were in Bar Harbor, Maine, and I thought, wow, I just missed you by a week (I was on Mount Desert Island and in Bar Harbor the week before last). Maybe I misunderstood them. I agree with you, though, I love Maine in the summer, but I especially love it there in the winter. I also grew up in New Jersey, and I miss at least having a shot at having a white Christmas, and in Maine your chances are very good to excellent (unlike here, where it is a rarity to have a white Christmas)! I bought some property on Mount Desert Island a few years ago, and hope to build a Maine cottage on it within the next year or two. Maybe you'll want to rent it out for a week or two some summer?

Anyway, welcome back! Looking forward to having Andrea back, too, because I love waking up to my news team in the morning!

Nancy Shaw

 
At August 20, 2007 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Hi there Nancy and thanks for the Maine scoop! I am quite jealous of your property!!

Do you have any idea what the heck is growing in Ben's garden???

Good to be back and see you tomorrow,
Weather Kim

 
At August 21, 2007 at 9:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its good to have you back! And, it looks like corn to me.

 
At August 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM , Blogger nnaylime said...

I'm pretty sure (having gone to grad school in the midwest) that it's not corn (although the corn that comes in bird food may grow differently than the stuff that was for human consumption)

I think it might be a wild grass. Looks similar to Heller Coast Cockspur Grass or Sugar Cane Plume Grass

 
At August 28, 2007 at 7:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm quite sure this is sorghum (Sorghum bicolor), almost certainly from the bird seed mix.

 
At September 6, 2007 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Steelers said...

Kim, you're awesome!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home