Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HUNGRY GIRL

LISA LILLIEN THANK YOU FOR KEEPING IT REAL!

She is a HUNGRY GIRL. Plain and simple NO PRETENSES HERE and that is exactly MY FAVORITE KIND OF GUEST to interview on WUSA 9 NEWS NOW. About 3 years ago, Lisa started emailing a group of 200 people her favorite diet tips and tricks. That list? IT HAS NOW GROWN TO OVER A HALF MILLION PEOPLE! You can visit her website at http://www.hungry-girl.com/. Basically, after loosing 30 lbs, Lisa allowed her food obsession to guide her into fooling around with alternative recipes that mimic the high calorie snacks she loved to eat! It didn't matter how BIZZARO the idea was that popped into her head ... if she thought there was a possibility that some kind of healthy alternative could work, she gave it a whirl (think Fiber One -- yes the cereal that most likely keeps you regular! -- coated on onion rings!)

Lisa dropped by the studio last week to talk about her latest book:

HUNGRY GIRL
Recipes & Survival Strategies
for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World

I had such a fun time picking her brain that I decided to take out my very own, high end Kodak Easy Share M753 camera and keep it rolling after the show... HAVE A LQQK BELOW!


The best part about Lisa, her tips & tricks, book, etc? It is REAL. She claims to be no expert, just a regular HUNGRY GIRL. And who isn't? (Especially one bride-to-be.) Lisa has found her niche and HOW NICE OF HER to share the fruits of her creative passion with us! Keep rockin' the taste buds, Lisa, and keep knockin' the calories, too! You make being a HUNGRY GIRL FUN!

Your friend in weather AND FOOD,

Kim Martucci

PS -- THOSE ONION RINGS? They're called "Lord of the Onion Rings" and here is the recipe below:

Lord of the Onion Rings
PER SERVING (entire recipe): 153 calories, 1g fat, 379mg sodium, 41g carbs, 16g fiber, 7g sugars, 9g protein

Ingredients:
1 large onion
1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
Dash of salt
Optional: additional salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut the ends off of the onion, and remove the outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-wide slices, and separate into rings.

Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Pour Fiber One "breadcrumbs" onto a small dish, and mix in salt and any optional spices you like.

Next, fill a small bowl (just large enough for onion rings to fit in) with egg substitute. One by one, coat each ring first in egg, and then in the "breadcrumbs" (give each ring a shake after the egg bath).

Evenly place rings on a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Cook for 20–25 minutes, flipping rings over about halfway through.

MAKES 1 HUMONGOUS SERVING

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At May 13, 2008 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Yota said...

One suggestion I'd like to make is 'no salt'!

You really don't need salt for anything except maybe tequila :)

I'll try some onion rings!
I love to cook 'main meals' mostly and never really got into sides except for stuffing mushroom caps.

I guess you could use the breading for those as well...

 
At May 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried them last night, they were SO delicious!!! Being a Hungry Girl myself, I LOVE this!!!

Can't wait to try more!

 
At May 14, 2008 at 7:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it from a Fiber One Fan! Results could get gassy!

 
At May 14, 2008 at 8:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am so excited to try some of these! i'm considering buying the book! i need to shed some pounds, but i love food!!! great way to do both!

Love it!
Renee

 
At May 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

SOMEBODY PLEASE make the yum yum chocolate muffins and send them to 4100 Wisconsin Ave. NW Washington DC 20016!!!
ha ha...Just kidding (not really), YES JUST KIDDING (not)
NO, I MEAN IT, I'M JUST KIDDING...
(read my thought bubble)
STOP IT SUBCONSCIOUS! I MEAN IT!!
(try and stop me...send me those muffins!)
UGH!!!

 
At May 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM , Blogger Yota said...

Are you just trying to tell us that you're a hungrey girl?

You (the morning show) always have someone cooking something on the set it seems...
No wonder the Evening crew is starving!

 
At May 14, 2008 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm hungry too! I'm writing down EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth and I'm challenging myself to seeing how long I can continue to do that, as well as how many pounds I can shed! I will have to try some of these recipes - as long as I keep my calories to 1200 to 1300 a day. And that's HARD! Making lifestyle changes at the end of my 30s is sooooo challenging!!!

 
At May 20, 2008 at 9:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a fun loving person kim. Wonderful sense of humor. Thats what makes people like people.
I make some delicious muffins, and will make some and send them to you.
I see ya' at the Bus Stop.

 
At May 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like watching you in the morning Kim. Cause you're a gardener and a early bird. The morning time fits you. I watches you on the job, with my watchman.
If you change shifts, then I won't have nobody to put me in a merry mood, before going to work. You know what I mean? Plus, you remind me of a female, caucasian, friend of mines, at school,when I was in the 4th grade. I use to love talking to her. She was my best friend. I never worried about a thing when we were talking and jabbering. Know what I'm saying?

 
At June 1, 2008 at 8:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, you seem like the type of person who loves to eat, and don't gain a pound. I be having to constantly, go on crash diets, to loose 10 or 15 pounds, all of the time. I wish I was like you.
Now you're going to have to come up with a concept, that'll teach us how to eat, without gaining any weight. Thats a little hard.

 
At August 4, 2008 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

hello kim

 
At August 4, 2008 at 4:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This Summer has been absolutely gorgious. Would you believe I haven't used my AC all Summer? This is about the coolest Summer we've had in 8 years. In 2000.when it was in the 90's for about 2 weeks. Then after a flash flood, it dropped down into the 70's for the rest of the Summer. And that is how it is now.
But it's better than 2000. I haven't had my AC on all Summer. My Electric Bill was un-believeable. Only $38.00, this month. And when ya'll say its gonna be hot and muggy in the 90's, the humidity be's so low, that it still feels cool, without having to use the AC Thanks Kim, you brought us good luck this Summer.
Yours Truly
bigtimer1254

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home