Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Monday, April 28, 2008

WHAT BIRD SONG IS THIS?


It wasn't just a nesting skunk I had on my mind over the weekend...


Now that SPRING has SPRUNG, all the wildlife is busy, presumably, getting ready to find mates. With that, comes bird songs. Please play the video below (be sure to turn off the volume on my playlist to the right) and listen to a particularly loud bird who kept singing as I painted my house's exterior. Any guesses as to what it is?




I recall doing my weather from our weather terrace last year and I think there was a similar bird song in the background that I commented about on the air. I might be mistaken, but if it was the same song as the one above, then I think a local birder emailed me that it was the Cardinal's "warning song" . I searched around the internet to try to listen to Cardinal songs and found some similar songs, but nothing matched this one above exactly.


I like how people string together words that sound like the song to help identify it. One woman wrote (somewhere...can't remember where I saw this) that she heard the "CHEER CHEER CHEER PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY" Cardinal song. So far, this is the closest Onomatopoeia I can find (I think that is the first time I have used "Onomatopoeia" in a sentence in 20 years!)

So, I'm going with Cardinal for my guess. What is yours?


Did you know?

  • The female Northern Cardinal usually sings (from the nest) to the male? She might give information about what kind of food to bring back -- "Hey honey, can you stop by the grocery store and pick up some skim milk?" (That is how my song with Ben might sound -- but I might add to it -- "Don't forget the Pepperidge Farm Saulsalito cookies, too!" -- that would be my more complicated song.)


  • The male cardinal is the brighter red colored one. The female only has reddish areas on her tail and wings and is overall a tan color. Turns out that the more vivid red the male is, the better chances he has of reproducing as he can hold territories with denser vegetation (I guess he stands out more!)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At April 28, 2008 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not sure if it is a cardinal or not. We have ALOT of those here in my backyard and they are kinda quieter than that.

My first guess was a BlueJay. The ones here are really loud and vocal.

Maybe a couple bird watchers can help out.

 
At April 29, 2008 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty sure it's a cardinal. A cardinal makes a wha-cheeer, wha-cheeer, with a rapid and descending weet-weet-weet-weet.

 
At April 29, 2008 at 12:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim - check out this site - you can hear any bird songs - find your's.

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~tony/birds/index.html

Sue, North Beach

 
At April 29, 2008 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Yota said...

From following the link in the comments, yeah Cardinal is my bet.
The tone was very similar, but the call itself was not identical..

Was an interesting site also...

 
At April 29, 2008 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

I'm so irritated! I am at that site now and my laptop says "done" with a yellow triangle at the bottom left whenever I try to click on one of the songs...BOO! Who knew a Cardinal was also a "finch"? Neat site...hope I can access it through Big Ben's computer later. Thank you Sue in North Beach!

 
At April 29, 2008 at 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim - Checked the website & it played the sounds in "Quicktime."

Perhaps you can access the audio on the website on a computer w/
"Quicktime" or download a current version on your computer.

Hope it helps!

 
At April 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Hmmmmmm....I *do* have quicktime...In fact, it is what I use to upload videos to my blog...Big Ben's home...I am going to ask my brainiac engineer to help.

 
At April 30, 2008 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Rob Young said...

The bird on your blog is indeed a Cardinal, I sometimes refer to that call as its 'call alarm' song, its sounds like one to me sometimes.

Birds are all in full chorus right now defending territories and attracting the ladies, May can be a fine month to get out before the sun and listen to the dawn chorus when all song is at its best.

Regards,

Rob

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home