Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

BACK TO FIRST GRADE!

Yesterday after work, I took a trip over to Carroll Manor Elem. School in Adamstown, MD. I was greeted by an enthusiastic group of 100 first grade students all sitting down and ready to learn more about the weather they have been studying the last few weeks.

I read to them my favorite weather book: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. This is a wonderful book that takes place in the town of "Chew-and-Swallow". In this magical town, the television meteorologists make predictions of the next day's food! Yes, you read that correctly. You see, it doesn't rain rain and it never snows just snow. The weather is made of food. So it is possible you could take your plate outside on your lunch hour and catch a meatball and use your umbrella to catch some juice. It is a wonderful, fanticiful book, that is, until the weather takes a turn for the worse and things like "tomato tornados" develop...

The children asked me questions about how I do my job and what time I get up to be at the station to go on the air at 4:55am. I felt at home because I was at home; Adamstown is a mere 9 miles away from Frederick, where I have made my home.

A special thank you to Maria Checchia who invited me! You all are wonderful and thank you for my tee shirt with your signatures. By the way, The Frederick News Post was there and have a nice article about my visit already on their website. Click HERE if you would like to read it.

1 Comments:

At February 6, 2008 at 6:35 AM , Blogger Yota said...

As I was reading this I began to flashback to when I was in 'kindergarten' and then 1st grade. I remember so much some times and think, but I just do... that's me.

I remember the moment I finally grasped the alphabet, how consonants and vowels worked with one another as symbols to form sound, and from that moment on, I could read the Sunday comics and not have them read to me.
Another memory was something I wrote about being in love with my teacher and wanting to grow and become a fireman, Corney but I think I (it) was 'normal' then.

Last thought was a time we were walking to the bus in a slight drizzle, and we were all worried about getting wet. Our teacher explained to us that if we just walked in between the clouds (where it wasn't raining) that we would stay dry, so we all looked up and weaved our way to the bus. (it was a tough trick and it almost worked).

While all these memories and thoughts, first to last occurred, my adult side was thinking and
maybe at this point I should "say no more", but instead I'll dilute it.

I enjoyed the description of the book, it was cute. I wonder though, how much of reality are children being raised with today. How well prepared they are, and how much of a shock the real world will be. I didn't have books like that when I grew up, we all know the stories that were told 50 years ago. I think about how things have changed from one century to the next and our strength as a people, our morality, our resilience.

I don't know why, I have no kids but I do have family (with kids). That's why I want todays generation to be strong, as strong as we were and those before us.

I got all that from your post, I think too much.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home