Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS running on DUNCAN?

For the last I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY weeks I have been humming along to what I think is THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, but the problem is that what I am humming along to is TMBG singing in a DUNCAN DONUTS COMMERCIAL.

Huh???

"That sounds like THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" I have been saying aloud to whomever will listen, or pretend to listen, during our morning show. No response. Could the 2 JOHNS FROM LINCOLN be selling coffee?

YOUTUBE to the rescue. Sure enough, I was able to find some matches under "Duncan Donuts They Might Be Giants". Here is one of them below, although it is not the commercial running locally in our area. The commercial running locally is called "Steps" and here are the lyrics:


"Taking a power walk (In my tennis shoes)Watch as I power walk (My elbows up high)I'm gonna power walk into the municipal building(Elevator, escalator)No, I choose to power walk"


Should I be disappointed that one of my favorite college bands has sold out?

They played CORNELL and rocked Bailey Hall when I was there...good times.





HERE IS A LINK to all you would like to know about TMGB from WIKIPEDIA. Now I am off to to locate PaRtIcle Man...

Labels:

6 Comments:

At February 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Yota said...

Just kinda looking at this, and I can't say because I don't know of your group, and I don't have a radio in my car so I have probably never heard the commercial...

(Yes no radio, I think while I drive.... remember? I think too much?) (I wish more people did)

Anyways... Some time back I remember reading how Musicians had re-evaluated the morality of "going commercial", its impact on their following... etcetera

For a long while (in my era) selling out to the establishment was taboo. Only later when making money seemed like a better idea they decided that they could be both jingle artists "and" pop stars. In fact why not just advertise their new big album in a commercial? Very efficient idea correct? You get airplay from both ends... the DJ and the sponsor!

Somehow it still seems wrong to me, and not everyone adopted the idea. It may be I'm just old fashioned that way, but I'm still a rebel and well... a little hard core in some of my beliefs.

I try not to judge though, lest I be judged (EEK!)

 
At February 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Kim!
http://www.dcrtv.com/hotties.html
(you are winning so far).

 
At February 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Yota...I'm feeling old.
SIGH.
I guess I'm happy they can make money...I just wish they'd publish their songs instead of just running them in doughnut ads...
Keep it real,
Weather Kim

 
At February 20, 2008 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Yota said...

Old?

Part of me is still that child dodging raindrops. I hold on to that part of myself, as if I were holding onto a rope over an abyss (actually I did, (unrelated to this conversation) in a thought I had earlier today)

I could also quote scripture, but I'm "not" that religious really...

I just feel we need all sorts of perspectives to keep us grounded. Patience also...

Luv ya ...

 
At February 21, 2008 at 11:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,

Love your blog, watch you every morning from the Eastern Panhandle before I commute to Frederick. We're up @ 4:45!

TMBG rocks!

John - A former WNYer from Lewiston

 
At February 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

John!
Lewiston??? That's just upstream from Niagara-on-the-Lake! I loved my time working at WGRZ Channel 2 "ON YOUR SIDE" in Buffalo. Go Niagara County! (Go Bills -- but that usually garners me nasty comments from Capitols fans...)Thanks for reading and build a little bird house in your soul...
--Weather Kim

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home