Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

IN SEARCH OF SNAKEHEADS









I love my job because I get to meet the most interesting people. I can't quite remember how I met CAPTAIN STEVE CHACONAS, I think he emailed me inquiring about a forecast for a fishing trip a year ago, but I can't be sure. Anyway, Capt. Steve is a master fisherman. (Is that a correct term?) In search of bass? Head out with Capt. Steve.
But what is interesting is that lately, his business is taking a turn towards snakehead hunting. Have you heard of these things? If you haven't, you must be new to the area. Here's the skinny: There are two theories as to how these natives from northern China and northern Korea landed in north America -- either someone emptied some with the desire to fish them at a later date or an aquarium got rid of some because they might have been overwhelmed by their size. (This is according to an article I read by Rita Zeidner Special to Inside Smithsonian Research).
Why the concern about snakeheads? Simple: these fish are voracious eaters, often feeding on other fish's young. They tend to move in and take over. No fun for the native species. Have I mentioned their TEETH? CHOMP CHOMP. How would you like those things nibbling on your toes as you rest them over the side of your kayak? The truly unique feature that FREAKS me out and intrigues me at the same time is that these things can breathe oxygen. So, if a pond dries up, they can wriggle (walk) across land for up to 3 days to find another source of water. So, like the cockroach, they don't give up on life very easily.

(SIDE NOTE: I can't believe I can eat a breakfast sandwich as I write this blog and post these pictures!)

Alright...stay tuned for a future update about my snakehead hunting fishing trip with Capt. Steve, Big Ben, and my nephew Zach. I'll be sure to shoot some video (and not fall overboard!)

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At April 23, 2008 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Yota said...

I had to wiki to describe some of the thoughts that came from your post.
The first was the bo-weevil
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boll_weevil
Like the snake-head, a devastating pest.
Next thought was Hydrilla
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrilla
Even boat recreational trailers and props on the boats themselves can transport this pesky vegetation.

But lastly this one that we have heard less about.
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulerpa_taxifolia

What it has done to the 'Med' ecology and other areas where it is not native?

Our activities over the centuries have upset many ecosystems in many ways, this is just another.

Those are some nasty fish!

 
At April 23, 2008 at 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bottom line ~ YUCK! I don't ever want to run into them! I live close to the pond in Crofton where they were first found!

 
At April 23, 2008 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Narmeen! Seriously? They must have crawled their way past your property on their way to the Potomac!!!

 
At April 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They almost sound like Piranhas - Just make sure you don't wear your flip-flops anywhere near that body of water!

 
At April 27, 2008 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! We live just over the line in Prince George's County ~ and close to the Patuxent River. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some in there too! They creep me out ~ I had a hard time looking at those pictures! I hope they don't show up in Deep Creek Lake!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home