Kim Martucci's Blog

Kim is so in love with the science of meteorology that her number one hobby is chasing tornadoes. On her most exciting excursion into tornado alley, she spotted twelve of the dangerous storms. The story she broadcast about that trip helped earn her an Emmy Award nomination as best weathercaster in New England.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

WEDDING WATCH: THE LEXICON (SHOULD I HAVE MY DOC COME TO THE RD?)

For my DW the MOB and I have been arguing about how many people we can have on the guest list. Obviously it is an OOT event, so I want to get the STDs out early. I have chosen my BMs and of course my sister is the MOH. NWR, TIA for reading my blog!

Read on below for your decipher code to all the wedding lexicon you can handle!
So far, gathering ideas for my wedding to Ben has been fun. There are some confusing things that I'll get to in a minute, but I have enjoyed the folks who email me from time to time, asking me about my planning. I heard from Stephanie in Leonardtown, MD (that's her to the right) today and before long she had me laughing out loud -- just the thing this slightly overwhelmed bride-to-be needed.
Stephanie shares these words of wisdom for the rest of us making plans to tie the knot:
I can almost guarantee you that as the wedding approaches you are going to go crazy worrying about all of the details, but don't stress too much about the small stuff ... Shortly after Brian proposed my Dad came to me and said "I'll give you 5 grand to elope and just come back home married." I knew that he was joking but I still thought he was crazy. As we were setting up the reception hall the night before the wedding and my head was spinning, I looked at Brian (my fiance at that point) and told him that we should have taken the 5 grand and run. We were both very stressed because we wanted everything to be just right. I will tell you that I woke up the morning of my wedding and did not have a single care in the world. All of the things that had been making me crazy for months were gone and I was just excited to become Brian's wife.
Side note: Stephanie shares some of the things that went wrong the day of that she laughs about now:
  • The guys picked up their tuxes and one was completely wrong
  • Her fiance's shoes were 3 sizes too small!
Thanks Stephanie!
As I flip through a dozen bridal magazines -- HELLO -- THEY COST $4.95 EACH!!! WHAT GIVES???

I come across all these wedding planning acronyms. Now, I'm a meteorologist (Duh, no really Kim, tell us more...) Reading weather acronyms is part of my job. Just a simple weather discussion at our local National Weather Service Forecast Office in Sterling VA can have any of these acronyms: AWOS Automated Weather Observation System, AVN Aviation Model, APSG After Passing, AFDK After Dark, AC Altocumulus. And those are just a few of the A's ! I can usually figure them out or look them up. But these wedding acronyms? Where's the manual? Here is what I have figured out so far:

BM Bridesmaid
BP Bridal Party
CP Centerpiece
DH Dear Husband
DOC Day Of Coordinator
DW Destination Wedding
Epics, Eparty, Ering Engagement
FG Flower Girl
FH Future Husband
FI Fiance
FMIL Future Mother-In-Law
GM Groomsman
GTG Get Together
HM Honeymoon
IL Inlaw
MIL Mother-In-Law
MOB Mother Of the Bride
MOH Maid Of Honor
NWR Not Wedding Related
OOT Out Of Town
RD Rehearsal Dinner
RP Repost
STD Save The Date
TIA Thanks In Advance
How do you like the wedding cake topper of me and Ben? A special thanks to Patrice in graphics who made it for me -- LOVE Ben's comb over! Thanks for giving me a Scarlett O'Hara 16" waist!
Ladies (and gentlemen?) Feel free to share with me any funny stories about your wedding planning or big day. Include pictures and I'll share your stories in my blog. I plan on having one blog dedicated to wedding planning about once a week. Have a great weekend!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At April 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the cake-topper image. I think you have yourself an engagement photo.

-Duff
Woodbridge, VA

 
At April 25, 2008 at 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having a good wedding organizer makes all the difference. I've been in a few weddings & a good wedding organizer takes so much pressure off of the bride.

BTW, love the artwork for the cake centerpiece!

 
At April 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! I am going to LOVE reading about your planning! It brings back so many memories from when my fiance (now husband!) and I planned ours. We were married one year after graduating from college, so we spent the year planning in between starting new jobs, sitting for the CPA exam and all the other fun stuff that comes with finally being out in the real world (except we both still lived at home! But we purchased our home about 2 months before we were married and still live in it!) But all this wedding talk has inspired me to work on a scrapbook for my DH to give to him in June. A "Story of Us" type of book! In all that spare time you have (ha ha!), you could start one too - maybe just of the year of wedding planning! That would be so cool! Then do an "Us" book! Enjoy the planning and try to not stress out (easier said than done ~ I stressed too!) Have a great weekend! Narmeen

 
At April 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Hi evm...so would a DOC (day of coordinator) count? I think I need to get one...Is Jennifer Lopez free? Have a great weekend.

 
At April 26, 2008 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim - Definitely recommend a well organized wedding coordinator (too bad J-Lo's busy taking care of the little ones right now!). There's so much to keep up with & can be a bit overwhelming for the bride, MOB & MOH.

- After being in a few weddings, I've decided to head out to Hawaii to elope when I decide (muster up the nerve) to marry!

 
At April 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm... how bout
WSWDKYFSSHRIFAPOP

okay so it's a hell of an acronymn but what do you call a:
wedding singer who doesn't know your first song so he reads if from a piece of paper?

;)

ps- can patrice photoshop live tv?

 
At April 27, 2008 at 10:36 PM , Blogger Kim M. said...

Hmmmmmmmm....How strange, "anonymous"...I was just at a wedding where the wedding singer sang the lyrics to "their song" from a piece of paper...the wedding was in SC.....hmmmmmmmm

;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home